Monday, January 27, 2014

Shoeboxes Speak to the Heart of Children in Mexico

We know that SOME of the shoeboxes from Southern Oregon went to Mexico, so I thought this Samaritan's Purse blog on OCC in Mexico was definitely worth sharing!!! Over and over again I was blessed by this article, seeing through it the transformative message of the Gospel. Our God is surely working in mighty ways!!


Below are excerpts from the blog From Streets to the Steeples. Please go read the whole thing!

“Each year, we look to give more shoeboxes to new kids who have never received them,” he said. “When a kid receives a shoebox, he sees the toys and plays with the toys, but there is also a question in him. ‘Why me?’ So through the shoeboxes, we get to the hearts of the kids and tell them how much God loves them. There are kids that have a hole in their hearts, and they start to fill it with all of these evil things: drugs, violence, robbery. So when we give out the gifts, there starts to be a hope in them, and they start to leave the drugs, the violence, the robbery; and they start to fill it with the love of God.”


Ten-year-old Karen Herrera had never heard about Jesus until the Gospel was presented at a shoebox distribution that she attended at Hilario’s church. After she received her gift, she decided to attend The Greatest Journey.
“Most of all, I’m happy because I got a New Testament Bible,” she said. “When I took the lessons, I invited Jesus into my heart. I learned that He’s my Savior.”
She can’t wait to share her new-found faith in Christ with her cousins and siblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment