Please consider looking around at the other stories.. see the impact a simple gift can have, bring hope, and love, and grace, and salvation to a precious child.
Friday, July 24, 2015
Thursday, July 23, 2015
When? Collection Week is November 16-23, 2015. You can find the exact times for your location at http://www.samaritanspurse.org/operation-christmas-child/drop-off-locations/ If you are in Klamath Falls, hours and location will be listed in the sidebar to the right.
Where?? There are thousands of drop off locations around the nation.... many churches and groups participate. If you don't know of one, you can find a drop off location at the link above.
Why??? Because it blesses children. There are a billion children around the world living in poverty, in war torn areas, in orphanages, in disaster zones, and in areas where the Gospel is not preached. Your box will bring joy and hope and love to a hurting child and with that box will go the Good News that transforms lives.
You can read tons of stories, and see videos, and get more information at https://www.samaritanspurse.org/operation-christmas-child/buildonline/
How to Pack a Shoebox
ShoeboxUse an empty cardboard or plastic shoebox (average size). You can wrap the box, lid separately, but wrapping is not required.
Boy or GirlDecide whether your gift will be for a boy or a girl, and the age category: 2-4, 5-9, or 10-14. Download and print the appropriate boy/girl label. Mark the correct age category and tape the label to the top of your box.
Fill With GiftsFill the box with a variety of gifts that will bring delight to a child (see Gift Suggestions below).
Include $7 Donation Per BoxHelp cover shipping and other costs related to delivering your shoeboxes to children overseas by donating $7 for each gift you prepare. You can give online to discover the destination of your box. Or, you can write a check to Samaritan’s Purse (note “OCC” on the memo line) and place it in an envelope on top of the items inside your shoebox. If you are preparing multiple gifts, please make one combined donation. Note: Follow Your Box is only available through online giving.
Remember to Pray for the children who will receive your shoebox gifts.
Drop OffPlace a rubber band around each closed shoebox and bring it to the drop-off location nearest you during National Collection Week. Visit our Drop-off Locations page to find the closest collection site. Or, call 1-800-353-5949.
Instructions & LabelsIncludes large-print instructions, gift suggestions, and labels.
Need More Labels?A full page of printer-friendly boy/girl labels for multiple shoebox gifts.
Need Boxes for a Large Group?You can order pre-printed boxes in sets of 100 for a suggested donation.
- Toys: Include items that children will immediately embrace such as dolls, toy trucks, stuffed animals, kazoos, harmonicas, yo-yos, jump ropes, balls, toys that light up and make noise (with extra batteries), etc.
- School Supplies: Pens, pencils and sharpeners, crayons or markers, stamps and ink pad sets, writing pads or paper, solar calculators, coloring and picture books, etc.
- Hygiene Items: Toothbrush, mild bar soap (in a plastic bag), comb, washcloth, etc.
- Accessories: T-shirts, socks, ball caps, sunglasses, hair clips, toy jewelry, watches, flashlights (with extra batteries).
- A Personal Note: You may enclose a note to the child and a photo of yourself or your family. If you include your name and address, the child may write back.
- Do Not Include: Used or damaged items; war-related items such as toy guns, knives or military figures; chocolate or food; out-of-date candy; liquids or lotions; medications or vitamins; breakable items such as snow globes or glass containers; aerosol cans.
They start by saying include a WOW item. Isn't that what we want.. the box to be a WOW.. a true blessing? What makes the box wow will be different for each child, so pray before you pack. If you have read stories of the shoeboxes you know the item that touches a child's heart can be anything.
Even so they have listed some great ideas: a deflated soccer ball and small hand pump, a stuffed animal or doll, a musical instrument such as a nice harmonica, shoes, or an outfit. This WOW item whether expensive or just carefully and prayerfully chosen will speak God's love into their heart.
I want the child who receives MY box to say WOW, don't you? What will be that item in your box?